The 7 R's of Program Design (Part II)

by Mike Robertson |   Date Released : 23 Jan 2013
Mike Robertson

About the author: Mike Robertson

Mike Robertson, M.S., C.S.C.S., U.S.A.W. has helped clients and athletes from all walks of life achieve their strength, physique and performance related goals. Mike received his Masters Degree in Sports Biomechanics from the world-renowned Human Performance Lab at Ball State University. Mike is currently the president of Robertson Training Systems, and the co-owner of Indianapolis Fitness and Sports Training which was named one of America's Top Ten Gyms by Men's Health magazine in 2009 and 2010.

Robertson, Mike | 26 Feb 2013, 18:42 PM

Adam-

I love it - reassessment is critical and something we try and do at least every 3 months (if not more often) with our clients.

Great stuff!

Robertson, Mike | 26 Feb 2013, 18:41 PM

Thanks Amanda! I agree, some people just like that "rush" at the end from some metabolic training. Just make sure it's focused on improving their fitness, not simply crushing them and you'll be fine.

duthie, adam | 26 Feb 2013, 01:11 AM

Fantastic article. I read part one about a month or two ago and it really changed the way I write programs. I have become obsessed with breathing lately and was glad to see it covered here as its super important to just about everything else we do! I have been incorporating the 7R approach in my programs with great success. And if I may be so bold as to add an 8th R, I would add Reassess! :)

Hierath, Amanda | 06 Feb 2013, 15:25 PM

Very good article! I can identify with R6-Regenerate. I have found in some instances that to appease my clients "satisfaction" of our session, I would add in these metabolic factors. Although, only up to their capabilities, some were unnecessary from a "goal" perspective.

Robertson, Mike | 04 Feb 2013, 02:59 AM

Thanks Lynn - very much appreciated!

Buckner, Lynn | 28 Jan 2013, 04:09 AM

Thanks! Great, succinct, thorough explanations for the rationale. I really enjoyed and learned from both parts and liked the case study application.